Tuesday, June 19, 2012

San Francisco: Day 6

I spent the last day at San Francisco on Angel Island, the so-called "Ellis Island of the West." Unfortunately, the Angel Island Immigration Station museum is closed on Monday and Tuesday, so I was only able to walk around the immigration area and read the signs explaining the significance of certain areas. After that, I walked along the Perimeter Road, a 5-mile path going around the island. The next landmark I came upon was Fort McDowell, an abandoned military fort now in ruins. The island is not very crowded to begin with, and the military ruins area was very deserted; I only saw two bikers bike pass the ruins. The further I walked into the military area, the creepier it got. Buildings were completely empty and there were no doors or windows at all. The buildings were not structurally safe, so I didn't enter and just took photos from outside. As I walked around one of the larger buildings, I came upon a sign saying it was the military hospital which housed many soldiers during the war. It freaked me out and gave me the chills. Other buildings included Guard Houses, Administrative Building, Post Market and a Visitor Center with a "Closed" sign nailed on its door. After I left Fort McDowell, I just followed the Perimeter Road and enjoyed the view of the Golden Gate Bridge, Sausalito and the towns across the bay (Tiburon, I think?). It was a nice hike and the weather was very comfortable.

In five hours I will be leaving for SFO and take a 13-hour plane ride to Taiwan. I hope my flight won't be delayed because of the two typhoons hitting Taiwan.


Angel Island


Beautiful view across the bay.


Angel Island Immigration Station.


Words etched into the ledges of the immigration station.


Abandoned military building at Fort McDowell.


Picture perfect?


The bridge.


No comments:

Post a Comment