Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Longwood Garden



I went to Longwood Garden in Pennsylvania today, a 2-hour-45-minute drive from New York City. The place received positive reviews online and it was indeed a relaxing stroll through the garden, although a bit too big and tiring at the end. Founded by Pierre du Pont, Longwood Garden is part of the du Pont property and now serves as an exhibition and conservatory. There are many fountains in the park with 5-10 minute water hows at certain times of the day. I think the conservatory with the flowers was the most interesting part of the trip. It did get really humid and hot inside the conservatory, but the flowers had vibrant colors and there were so many different kinds of them.

Today was also the first time I tested the Manual mode on my D40. The photos came out a bit underexposed and overexposed at first, but eventually I was able to use the light meter to better adjust the aperture and shutter speed to produce photos with balanced lighting. I think I'm going to start using the Manual mode more. It gives me more freedom and control over the shot, such as if I want the photo to be darker or lighter.

The photo on the left is the du Pont House, taken in the conservatory that was added to the original house. The photo on the right is a gazebo near Large Lake.

No comments:

Post a Comment