Tuesday, June 19, 2012

San Francisco: Day 5

Last night when I checked tickets to Alcatraz Island the next available tour was on Sunday, but I read that if I show up early enough I can get standby tickets and still be able to go on the island. So that's what I did this morning, and I just happened to under dress on the coldest day here so far, and on the day that I take the ferry. The island has so much history with the short amount of time it served as a prison. I saw the buildings inmates worked at, heard stories of several inmate's escape attempts, and walked through the cell blocks in the main cell house. It's hard to imagine what it's like when it was an active prison with inmates in every cell. Like the audio tour said, it's torture to be locked up so close to a large city, but yet so far from freedom.

After Alcatraz, I found the bush man at Fisherman's Wharf and watched him scare people who walk by. It was funny seeing people's reactions and embarrassment after. If this were in New York City, people on the streets would complain and the cops would definitely do something about it. After Fisherman's Wharf, I wandered to Crissy Field and to the Palace of Fine Arts. Today wasn't a very event-packed day, but it was still a fun day in San Francisco.


Alcatraz sign with Indian vandalization.


View of the laundry work room through a broken glass window.


Guard tower over the docks, the only exit besides swimming.


Inside the cell house.


British acrobat performing at Fisherman's Wharf.

No comments:

Post a Comment