Saturday, June 16, 2012

San Francisco: Day 2

Yesterday I visited mostly park areas in San Francisco. Today I went to the piers and walked through the busier streets of San Francisco. I started at Fort Mason, filled with morning joggers making me look very out of place, and headed to Lombard Street. Honestly, the turns weren't as dramatic as I had imagined, but it was nice to finally see the world's most crooked street. I went back to the piers to Hyde Street Piers and saw inactive navy ships and tugboats. The piers also had a nice view of Alcatraz Island to the north and the Golden Gate Bridge to the west. After Hyde Street Piers, I walked east to Fishermen's Wharf and Pier 39. The view of the bay wasn't that amazing, but the mood at the piers was very lively and cheerful. I wandered through Pier 39 and looked through several interesting stores. I also saw sea lions bumming on the docks next to the pier. For lunch, I ordered clam chowder in a bread bowl at Sally's Famous Fishwich. Afterwards, I spent a while looking for the Bushman Hannah kept talking about, but couldn't find him. Oh well. Then I took the cable car from Mason Station to Powell Station. Definitely one of the coolest things about this city. How the cable car operates is really interesting and it felt great riding on such an ancient kind of transportation. The Cable Car Museum shows how the cars operate and how the cables run throughout the city. Next, I walked through Union Square and Chinatown to Ina Coolbrith Park, Vallejo Steps and Macondray Street. The hills of San Francisco are so steep and they are endless. I was so exhausted after climbing a huge flight of stairs, just to go back down on the other side of the hill. The peaks, however, offered unobstructed views of other parts of the city. I then walked west up the Filbert Steps to Coit Tower, where I got a good shot of downtown and Lombard Street. From that high up, I was able to capture how crooked Lombard Street is. After taking a break, I walked towards downtown and west to the Ferry Building. By then, my feet were very sore and I just sat by the piers until I took the Muni back home.

Tonight Ankai and I bought grocery and made lemon chicken, mashed potatoes, and sauteed mushrooms, onions and green beans.


View of Ghirardelli Square from the coast.


Lombard Street.


Me!


Fishermen's Wharf.


Fruit stand at Pier 39. 


Sea lions at Pier 39.


Clam chowder in bread bowl from Sally's Famous Fishwich at Fishermen's Wharf.


I almost hit a parked van while hanging off of the cable car.


Me at Powell Station.


View of downtown from Coit Tower.


View of Lombard Street from Coit Tower.


Coit Tower sitting on top of Telegraph Hill.


See's is so delicious!


After an hour of preparation and cooking, this was our dinner for two.

No comments:

Post a Comment