Monday, July 2, 2012

National Taiwan Ocean University

Today is the first day of my internship at National Taiwan Ocean University in Keelung. I got to my professor's research office at 8:30, and only one grad student was here. The professor didn't come until 9:30. We talked for an hour when he came, and he showed me the different departments in our building and gave me a tour of the building. First thing he said was that there isn't really anything for me to do... He gave me a list of departments and what kinds of research they are doing, and said he'll have me tag along whichever group I'm interested in. Besides that, I can help out with a summer camp for elementary school students in two weeks and help other Masters students fix up their English thesis papers. I told him I'm interested in GIS research, but I don't know when he's going to talk to the professor in charge of that department.

The other grad students in the research room are all really nice. They were all surprised at why I chose this university over other schools, and confused at what exactly is my major. Only the professor has heard of Operations Research, and I have to explain to the grad students what I am studying. They treated me to lunch and they're trying to get me free access to the swimming pool. The office is pretty empty and most of the grad students are pretty laid back since they just finished presenting their thesis. Hopefully they'll take me to fun places around Keelung some time in the summer. And I hope my professor will find me something to do in the next few days...

No comments:

Post a Comment