Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Random Observations

I've been living in Taiwan for a month now and I made some random observations:
  • Jeremy Lin is huge in Taiwan. People here talk about him all the time. Bookstores sell books about him and have a big poster of him with some linsanity-related phrases such as 'Linpossible' or 'The Lincredible Journey.' There are NYK calendars, with Jeremy Lin as the center person. I saw a kid with a motorcycle helmet with 'New York' and '17' on it. So many people wear his basketball jersey. 
  • Guys in Taiwan are whipped. Went out to dinner with the grad students from my lab, and almost all of them held their girlfriends' purses. It's ridiculous.
  • People here have really high tolerances for heat. I would be dripping sweat and other people are just beginning to sweat a tiny bit. 
  • People aren't scared of cops. Beer on the streets and at the beach. Driving down a one-way street is fine as long as there's no cops. 
  • Non-Americans are very interested in American lifestyle/culture. Everyone I met who has never been to the U.S. asks me a bunch of question about what it's like living there. They ask me if college/high school parties actually do exist like depicted in movies, do Asians get bullied, what college is like, driving age, etc...
  • A lot of Taiwanese people actually know English. They may not be fluent, but they can get their point across. This guy at 西門町 said 'Come inside,' 'Ice,' 'Good,' to my friends and me trying to get us to eat at his restaurant. This other lady at a tea-leaf place was able to explain how the machines work in fluent English. I was surprised she could speak English considering the tea place was so small.
  • Short shorts are okay for guys. Some guys wear shorts as short as girl gym shorts to go jogging or go to the gym. Unacceptable.
That's it for now. Can't think of anything else at the moment. 

No comments:

Post a Comment